By Daniella Genovese | Fox News
Although crews were able to quickly contain the fire, there reportedly were a number of ballots inside at the time.
The Los Angeles County Registrar’s Office announced it will pick up mail-in ballots more frequently after a ballot box in Baldwin Park caught fire Sunday evening, prompting an arson investigation.
Just after 8 p.m., fire crews responded to the box sitting outside Baldwin Park Library on Baldwin Park Boulevard. Although crews were able to quickly contain the fire, there were a number of ballots inside at the time, FOX 11 reported.
NEW REPORT FINDS STRING OF BALLOT MISHAPS CONFIRMS FEARS OF LARGE-SCALE MAIL-IN VOTING
The incident prompted the office to immediately request an investigation through local law enforcement. The office also reported the incident to the FBI and the attorney general in order to obtain all available footage and determine the cause of the fire, officials said.
Los Angeles County officials warned that tampering or attempts to tamper “with our democracy” won’t be tolerated.
“The arson of an official ballot drop box by the Baldwin Park Library in the First District has all the signs of an attempt to disenfranchise voters and call into question the security of our elections,” Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda Solis said. “Rest assured, LA County residents’ voices will be heard when they vote, including in this election.”
Solis added, “Every lawful ballot will be counted.”
Voters who used the affected ballot box can call the county registrar-recorder or county clerk to verify that their ballots were received.
County staff last picked up ballots at the affected drop box location on Saturday, Oct. 17 at 10:10 a.m.
TRUMP DIRECTS CALIFORNIA GOP TO ‘FIGHT HARD’ IN COURT OVER BALLOT BOXES DESPITE PROSECUTION THREAT
Voters who submitted their ballot after that time are encouraged to contact the office for assistance.
“Tampering with vote by mail drop boxes and ballots is serious criminal offense and we will vigorously seek the prosecution of individuals who engage in such behavior,” Registrar Dean Logan said in a statement.
To date, no arrests have been made in connection to the incident, according to FOX 11.
- 5,800 Fully Vaccinated Americans Have Contracted COVID-19, 74 Dead: CDC
- Rubio: Nobody in GOP Can Defeat Trump in 2024
- Trump Alumni Launch Largest Non-Profit to Advance America First Policy
- CNN Staffer Claims Network Pushed ‘Propaganda’ to ‘Get Trump Out of Office’: Undercover Video
- Texas, Missouri Sue Biden Administration for Suspending Trump-Era ‘Remain in Mexico’ Policy
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on