Trump Says Next 10 Days Could Decide Fate of Iran Talks
Trump Says Next 10 Days Could Decide Fate of Iran Talks

By Ryan Morgan

WASHINGTON—President Donald Trump indicated on Feb. 19 that United States and Iranian negotiators may have less than two weeks to reach a new agreement addressing Middle East security concerns.

Speaking at the first meeting of his Board of Peace in Washington, Trump noted the U.S. strikes that targeted three Iranian nuclear facilities in June 2025.

“Now we may have to take it a step further, or we may not. Maybe we’re gonna make a deal,” he said.

“You’re going to be finding out over the next probably 10 days.”

At another point, Trump said he needs to see “a meaningful deal” emerge.

“Otherwise, bad things happen,” he said.

In recent weeks, Trump has repeatedly indicated that he is considering new U.S. military action if Tehran does not agree to a deal.

Negotiations have primarily focused on Iran’s nuclear development, but U.S. and Israeli leaders have also voiced concerns about Iran’s missile programs and its support for designated terrorist groups throughout the Middle East.

Since January, Trump has directed two aircraft carrier strike groups to the Middle East, bolstering the U.S. posture for potential military action against Iran.

U.S. and Iranian representatives held a round of talks in Geneva this week.

In an interview with Fox News on Feb. 17, U.S. Vice President JD Vance said, “It was very clear that the president has set some red lines that the Iranians are not yet willing to actually acknowledge and work through.”

Iranian leader Ali Khamenei has said Iran is not pursuing a nuclear weapon but should retain the ability to pursue nuclear energy.

Khamenei has also referred to Iran’s missiles as a deterrent against attacks.

“They say, ‘Limit your missiles to this range.’ What’s that to do with you?! Without deterrent weaponry, a country will be crushed by the enemy,” Khamenei said in a Feb. 17 statement.

After Israel carried out surprise strikes on Iran in June, Iranian forces responded with barrages of missiles that taxed Israeli air defenses.

Khamenei and other Iranian officials have threatened regional conflict if they again come under attack.

Khamenei said Iran doesn’t seek conflict but “will strike a strong blow against anyone who attacks.”

Trump’s comments on Feb. 19 suggest a shrinking timeline for negotiations. Last week, the U.S. president said talks could continue for about a month.

Moscow, which has maintained friendly relations with Tehran, called for restraint on Feb. 19.

“We are now seeing an unprecedented escalation of tension in the region,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said in a statement shared by the Russian state-run TASS news agency.

“But we still expect that political and diplomatic means and negotiations will prevail in the search for a settlement.”

USNN World News Corporation (USNN) USNN World News is a media company consisting of a series of sites specializing in the collection, publication and distribution of public opinion information, local,...