By David Aaro | Fox News
Russian nuclear-capable bombers were intercepted and escorted by U.S. fighter jets during a flight over neutral waters near Alaska, according to a report on Wednesday.
U.S. F-22 Raptor tactical fighters accompanied the four Russian Tupolev Tu-95MS bombers during some periods of their 11-hour flight that reportedly complied with international law, Reuters reported, citing the RIA news agency and the Russian Defense Ministry.
A similar incident occurred back in April when the U.S. military scrambled F-22 stealth fighter jets to intercept a pair of Russian patrol aircraft flying near the state, the commander of NORAD said on “Fox & Friends.”
US F-22 STEALTH FIGHTER JETS INTERCEPT RUSSIAN PATROL AIRCRAFT NEAR ALASKA
“We’re ready 24/7,” on alert for these missions, Air Force Gen. Terrence O’Shaughnessy said.
In May, two Russian fighter jets “flew in an unsafe and unprofessional manner” while intercepting an American spy plane over the Mediterranean Sea, according to a statement by the U.S. Navy.
A U.S. Airforce F-22 Raptor with the 154th Wing, Hawaii Air National Guard, conducts an aerial demonstration during the Singapore Airshow 2020 near Changi Exhibition Center, Republic of Singapore, Feb. 15, 2020. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Staff Sgt. Vitaliy Rusavskiy)
“While the Russian aircraft was operating in international airspace, this interaction was irresponsible,” the May 26 statement said. “We expect them to operate within international standards set to ensure safety.”
Meanwhile, Russia confirmed it will open talks with the U.S. this month on extending a major nuclear disarmament treaty, according to a report on Tuesday.
Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov will meet special presidential envoy Marshall Billingslea in Vienna on June 22 to begin negotiations on New Start, a nuclear arms reduction treaty that expires in February, Agence France-Presse reported.
This is a developing story.
Fox News’ Edmund DeMarche and Lucas Tomlinson contributed to this report. David Aaro is a Reporter at Fox News Digital based in New York City.
- Fed Faces Jittery Markets Ahead of Key Policy Meeting That Will Consider Stimulus Rollback
- Federal Govt Whistleblower Goes Public with Secret Recordings: ‘Government Doesn’t Want to Show the [COVID] Vaccine is Full of Sh*t’; ‘Shove’ Adverse Effect Reporting ‘Under the Mat’
- Arizona Woman ‘Mistakenly’ Injected With COVID-19 Vaccine
- Boxer-Senator Manny Pacquiao to Run for Philippine President
- Del Rio Mayor Calls Out Biden, Harris for Failing to Visit Border in Crisis: ‘Why Aren’t You Here?’
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on