By Gillian Turner, Brooke Singman | Fox News
Law enforcement officers cleared protesters Tuesday from outside the White House following a clash the night before, pushing them beyond a space known as “Black Lives Matter Plaza” in the latest apparent effort to crack down on demonstrations steps from the president’s residence.
“Defund the Police” street graffiti was also removed from the area on Tuesday.
The night before, protesters had tried to take down a statue of Andrew Jackson near the White House while attempting to carve out a Seattle-style “autonomous zone,” which they called the “Black House Autonomous Zone.” But police on Tuesday moved protesters out and cleared the area near Lafayette Square and St. John’s Episcopal Church.
TRUMP BLASTS ‘WEAK’ STATE LEADERS FOR ALLOWING REMOVAL OF STATUES AND HISTORIC MONUMENTS
Earlier this month, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser helped name the area north of the White House “Black Lives Matter Plaza,” amid protests over George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis police custody.
The D.C. Metropolitan Police Department, meanwhile, made two arrests on Monday night related to the demonstrations in Washington. It is unclear if law enforcement made any arrests on Tuesday morning.
TRUMP VOWS NO ‘AUTONOMOUS ZONE’ IN DC
Earlier Tuesday morning, President Trump warned protesters who damage federal property that they could be arrested and imprisoned. In a Fox News interview, he criticized state leaders for not being as tough on those who seek the destruction of historical monuments.
“A lot of states are weak. A lot of people are weak and they’re allowing it to happen,” Trump said.
“There will never be an ‘Autonomous Zone’ in Washington, D.C., as long as I’m your President,” Trump also tweeted Tuesday. “If they try they will be met with serious force!”
Fox Business Network’s Hillary Vaughn contributed to this report.
- Fed Faces Jittery Markets Ahead of Key Policy Meeting That Will Consider Stimulus Rollback
- Federal Govt Whistleblower Goes Public with Secret Recordings: ‘Government Doesn’t Want to Show the [COVID] Vaccine is Full of Sh*t’; ‘Shove’ Adverse Effect Reporting ‘Under the Mat’
- Arizona Woman ‘Mistakenly’ Injected With COVID-19 Vaccine
- Boxer-Senator Manny Pacquiao to Run for Philippine President
- Del Rio Mayor Calls Out Biden, Harris for Failing to Visit Border in Crisis: ‘Why Aren’t You Here?’
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on