By Joel B. Pollack
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) confronted Daniel Goldman, the Democrat counsel for the House Intelligence Committee, during Monday’s impeachment hearing over a tweet he posted last year attacking President Donald Trump over his so-called “pee tape.”
The tweet (screen-capped below) was a response to President Trump’s criticism of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s impeachment inquiry. Trump had tweeted: “Why aren’t Mueller and the 17 Angry Democrats looking at the meetings concerning the Fake Dossier and all of the lying that went on in the FBI and DOJ? This is the most one sided Witch Hunt in the history of our country. Fortunately, the facts are all coming out, and fast!”
In response, Goldman tweeted: “What lying? Nothing in the dossier has proved to be false (including your pee tape). But we can agree that we all look forward to the facts coming out. Everything that has come out so far has shown you to be an out and out liar (eg Cohen tape, purpose of June 9 meeting, etc).”
Daniel Goldman pee tweet (Daniel Goldman / Twitter)
Gaetz did not start with the tweet, however. He began by asking Goldman if he thought he was non-partisan. Goldman replied, under oath, in the affirmative: “I am not a partisan.”
Gaetz then asked Goldman’s Republican counterpart, Stephen Castor, if he had ever given political donations. He said no.
When he asked Goldman about his tens of thousands of dollars in political donations, Goldman dodged, attempting to say that he was performing a civic duty: “I think it’s very important to support candidates for office.”
Gaetz then displayed a posterboard with the offending tweet above, noting that the “pee tape” — the “dossier” — had in fact been disproven in several respects, and asked Goldman whether he regretted it.
Goldman declined to do so, but insisted that his inquiry had been thorough. “I would be happy to put my — this investigation up with any of the non-partisan investigations during my ten years as a federal prosecutor.”
“You either regret it, or you don’t. I guess you don’t want to answer the question,” Gaetz said.
Goldman has previously been an analyst on MSNBC and has worked with the left-wing Brennan Center.
- Alan Dershowitz: ‘Radical Left’ Campaign to Get Justice Breyer to Retire Will ‘Backfire’
- Arizona-Style Election Audit Needed in Nevada: GOP Chairman
- McCarthy Responds to Speculation That Trump Should Be Elected House Speaker
- Coca-Cola Diversity Policy Risks Violating Anti-Discrimination Laws, Shareholders Warn
- Maricopa County Audit Report Expected in August
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on