By Aldgra Fredly
A magnitude 6.1 earthquake struck near the Burma-India border region around dawn on Friday, but there have been no immediate reports of casualties or damage.
The earthquake occurred at a shallow depth of 7.5 miles (12 km), and was about 87 miles (140 km) away from Aizawl in northeastern India, according to India’s National Center for Seismology.
Witness accounts gathered by the European-Mediterranean Seismological Centre (EMSC) said the tremor, which started after 5 a.m local time, was felt in Chittagong in Bangladesh and as far away as the east Indian city of Kolkata, some 280 miles (450.62 km) from Aizawl.
One of the testimonies gathered by EMSC was from an Indian person from Hnahthial some 52 miles (84 km) away from the epicenter.
“Suddenly a tremor … and we were about to jump out of our bed! It stopped then. Luckily no loss and damage were recorded … Thank God, for protecting us,” the person stated.
Another witness said the earthquake felt “very strong” in Chittagong, about 115 miles (184 km) west of the quake’s epicenter.
Tremors were felt across states in northeastern India and other major urban areas in Bangladesh, according to EMSC and India’s earthquake monitoring agency.
EMSC pegged the temblor’s magnitude at 5.8, after having earlier given it a magnitude of 6.0.
Reuters contributed to this article.
- Gold Is Outperforming Bitcoin and the Stock Market in the Past 3 Months: What’s the Better Hedge?
- Growing Number of European Countries Rolling Back COVID-19 Restrictions
- Baltic Nations Send US-Made Weapons to Ukraine Amid Russian Threat
- US Now Requires All Foreign Travelers to Be COVID-19 Vaccinated When Crossing Land Ports, Ferry Terminals
- Biden’s COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate for Federal Workers Blocked Nationwide
- Vermont Woman Fired, Denied Unemployment for Refusing Vaccine, Becomes Homeless and Flees to Florida on
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on