By Rick Reichmuth | Fox News
Cristobal strengthened to a 50mph tropical storm Saturday morning and is moving faster than anticipated at 12mph, with expected landfall Sunday afternoon in Louisiana.
Several environmental factors, including dry air and shear, will keep Cristobal from strengthening too much and the NHC still brings Cristobal to a moderate 60mph tropical storm at landfall.
Although it isn’t impossible for Cristobal to become a hurricane, at this point, it is unlikely. Nonetheless, tropical storm warnings and storm surge warnings are now in effect.
As far as tropical storms go, the U.S. impact from Cristobal shouldn’t be that significant. There will be 2-4 feet of storm surge across southeastern Louisiana and coastal Mississippi.
TROPICAL DEPRESSION CRISTOBAL DRENCHES MEXICO, GULF COAST IMPACTS LIKELY TO ARRIVE BY SUNDAY
Areas east of there through the northern half of the east coast of Florida will see 1-2 feet of surge.
Because the storm is quite large in size, it will bring widespread 3-6 inches of rain with some spots up to 10 inches from north Florida through coastal and just inland Alabama and Mississippi. This will cause some very localized flooding.
2020 ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON FORECAST: HERE ARE 3 BIG TAKEAWAYS
That said, most of that area is dealing with drought, so while too much too fast, it’ll be some welcome rain to agricultural areas.
Brief, isolated tornadoes will also form within rain bands moving onshore on the east side of Cristobal. Heavy rain will spread northward deeper into the Mississippi River Valley Sunday night into Monday.
The hurricane season began just six days ago, with Cristobal already the third name storm. Rick Reichmuth joined Fox News Channel (FNC) in 2004, as a meteorologist.
- Fed Faces Jittery Markets Ahead of Key Policy Meeting That Will Consider Stimulus Rollback
- Federal Govt Whistleblower Goes Public with Secret Recordings: ‘Government Doesn’t Want to Show the [COVID] Vaccine is Full of Sh*t’; ‘Shove’ Adverse Effect Reporting ‘Under the Mat’
- Arizona Woman ‘Mistakenly’ Injected With COVID-19 Vaccine
- Boxer-Senator Manny Pacquiao to Run for Philippine President
- Del Rio Mayor Calls Out Biden, Harris for Failing to Visit Border in Crisis: ‘Why Aren’t You Here?’
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on