By Lee Brown New York Post
The former banker used private bookmakers registered on the Caribbean island Curacao.
A British gambler has reportedly staked $5 million on President Trump winning Tuesday’s election — a wager believed to be the largest ever political bet.
The former banker used private bookmakers registered on the Caribbean island Curacao for the bet at odds of 37/20 — meaning he could get a $15 million payout, sources told The Sun.
The mystery gambler confidently went all-in after consulting with “Trump camp insiders,” according to the report.
PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION SETS BETTING RECORDS WITH $1B IN WAGERS POSSIBLE
“Word of this bet has done the rounds and we think it’s the biggest ever made on politics,” one betting industry source told the UK paper.
While illegal in the US, betting on politics is popular in the UK and many other countries — and the 2020 election is shaping up to be the biggest betting event of all time.
President Donald Trump arrives for a campaign rally at Kenosha Regional Airport, Monday, Nov. 2, 2020, in Kenosha, Wis. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)
Trump beat the odds in 2016, and gamblers appear keen on a repeat performance this time.
“Donald Trump will likely wake up with a spring in his step as more and more people think he could stay for another term,” the gambling comparison site OddsChecker said Tuesday.
In the last four hours, 71% of money wagered on the 2020 US election was on Trump, the site said — which the site’s head of marketing, Sam Eaton, called a “remarkable” swing.
“The 2020 election is following a very similar betting pattern to the one we witnessed back in 2016. The closer we got to election day, the more money came for Donald Trump,” Eaton said.
“A lot of part-time gamblers will opt to wager on the election today, and naturally given the bigger returns on Trump, they will likely side with the current President.”
One bookmaker, Paddy Power, told The Sun that 93% of wagers had been on Trump over the previous 24 hours.
Jessica O’Reilly of Ladbrokes said that “even at the eleventh-hour, punters are continuing to back Trump at the odds on offer.”
- Nikki Haley Says She Will Not Run for President in 2024 If Trump Does
- Trump: ‘Politically Correct Supreme Court’ Will Get What It Deserves If Court Is Expanded
- Trump Predicts GOP Will Retake Congress in 2022, White House in 2024
- Evangelist Franklin Graham Says Trump’s Wealth Declined While in Office Because He Put ‘America First’
- Arizona Governor Signs Bill Banning Private Donations for Election Processes
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on