By Zachary Stieber
President Joe Biden’s climate czar John Kerry was seen maskless on a plane despite requirements that passengers don face coverings, sparking an investigation from American Airlines.
Kerry was seen reading a book while on a flight from Boston to Washington on March 17. He was not participating in activities that allow passengers to take off masks, such as eating or drinking.
American Airlines said that masks are required on board its aircraft and that it was probing the situation.
In February, American’s COO David Seymour said the airlines would mandate masks to align with a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention directive that was issued in accordance with an executive order from Biden.
“Our mask requirement has been and will continue to be a critical component of our comprehensive effort to protect the health and well-being of our customers and team members during the pandemic,” he said in a statement. “This federal mandate will provide additional support to our crew members who are working diligently to enforce our policy and further reinforce the safety of air travel during COVID-19.”
COVID-19 is the disease caused by the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus.
Biden has repeatedly exhorted Americans to wear masks, even if they’ve been vaccinated against the virus.
Kerry, the special presidential envoy for climate and a former Democrat presidential candidate, said in a tweet that there appeared to be a misunderstanding.
“Let’s be clear: If I dropped my mask to one ear on a flight, it was momentary. I wear my mask because it saves lives and stops the spread. It’s what the science tells us to do,” he wrote.
The passenger who snapped the picture told Fox News that Kerry’s mask was off for five minutes.
“If five minutes is ‘momentarily,’ he’s correct. Not sure being in a plane without a mask for five minutes is excusable,” the passenger said.
American Airlines told the outlet that no crew members saw Kerry without a mask and no fellow passengers alerted crew to what was happening.
“We continue to review the matter and we are reaching out to Secretary Kerry to underscore that all customers are expected to wear masks for the duration of their trip,” the company said.
- Queen Elizabeth’s Husband Prince Philip Passes Away at Age 99
- Trump Endorses Rand Paul for Re-Election, Calls Him a ‘True Champion’
- Trump’s Steel, Aluminum Tariffs Saved US Jobs, Biden Commerce Secretary Says
- Biden’s Corporate Tax Hikes Would Cost 1 Million Jobs, Study Finds
- Trump: Arkansas Governor’s Veto of Bill Blocking Minor Sex Surgeries ‘The End of Him’
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on