By Zachary Stieber
A Democrat senator in Arizona was arrested on Thursday for allegedly being sexually involved with a minor.
State Sen. Tony Navarrete was taken into custody, local media reported.
Arizona Senate Democrats later confirmed that one of their members was arrested.
“We are aware one of our members has been arrested and are awaiting further details and for law enforcement to do its job. We will not have further comment at this time,” the caucus said in a statement.
Phoenix Police Department Sgt. Andy Williams told news outlets that officials on Wednesday received a report of sexual conduct with a minor that occurred in 2019.
“Detectives interviewed a juvenile victim and witnesses, and on August 5th, developed probable cause to arrest the suspect. The suspect was arrested and is currently in the process of being booked into jail for multiple counts of sexual conduct with a minor, among other charges,” Williams said.
Navarrete’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Navarrete, who identifies as being gay, entered the Arizona House of Representatives in 2017 and became a state senator in 2019.
The state senator recently said he tested positive for COVID-19.
According to a statement from his office, Navarrete tested positive on July 27 despite being fully vaccinated.
He was isolating at his house with mild symptoms.
- Fed Faces Jittery Markets Ahead of Key Policy Meeting That Will Consider Stimulus Rollback
- Federal Govt Whistleblower Goes Public with Secret Recordings: ‘Government Doesn’t Want to Show the [COVID] Vaccine is Full of Sh*t’; ‘Shove’ Adverse Effect Reporting ‘Under the Mat’
- Arizona Woman ‘Mistakenly’ Injected With COVID-19 Vaccine
- Boxer-Senator Manny Pacquiao to Run for Philippine President
- Del Rio Mayor Calls Out Biden, Harris for Failing to Visit Border in Crisis: ‘Why Aren’t You Here?’
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on