By Fox News
British police shot and killed a terror attacker Friday on the London Bridge — a harrowing incident that left several people injured and snarled mid-afternoon traffic on the key thoroughfare that had been the site of a deadly Islamist attack just over two years ago.
Five people were injured in the incident, although it was unclear what the injuries were and how many may have been caused by the terrorist. Scotland Yard earlier said first responders raced to “a stabbing at premises near to London Bridge” just before 2 p.m. local time.
Initial reports suggested the suspect was wearing a suicide vest, however, it was later believed to be a hoax device, Commissioner Neil Basu said during a news conference.
The area remained sealed by police for safety reasons.
“Due to reports that the suspect may have had an explosive device, specialist offices also attended the scene and wide cordons are in place to ensure there remains no further danger to the public,” Basu said. “However, I can confirm at this time, we believe a device that was strapped to the body of the suspect is a hoax explosive device. Officers continue to carry out meticulous searches in the area to ensure there is no outstanding threat to the public.”
The lockdown and fears of an explosive device caused a mass panic with those nearby running or searching for shelter.
“I was shopping in the area when they started to cordon it off. There was panic in the market and people started running. I saw two people fall over,” a woman identified as Jo, from East London, told the Guardian. “I was walking down a side street trying to leave the area when all of a sudden people started running. The police then told people to get inside, so we sheltered in Le Pain Quotidien. They locked the doors and moved people away from the glass. The police has just let us leave.”
We have now declared a major incident and have a number of crews at the scene in London Bridge.
We will share more information as soon as we have it. https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1200424686968098816 …2149:46 AM – Nov 29, 2019
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was “being kept updated on the incident at London Bridge and want to thank the police and all emergency services for their immediate response.”
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn thanked police and emergency services for their response during the crisis.
“Shocking reports from London Bridge. My thoughts are with those caught up in the incident. Thank you to the police and emergency services who are responding,” he said.
British Transport Police said underground trains will not be stopping at London Bridge Underground station. The mainland station is also closed.
We continue to assist @metpoliceuk and @CityPolice with the incident at #LondonBridge.
London Bridge mainline station is closed.
Tubes are not stopping at London Bridge Underground station.
Please check with @abekaawirn104TfL and @nationalrailenq before travelling.
You can see the lorry across the road #Londonbridge
The bridge area was the scene of a terrorist melee on June 3, 2017. Islamic terrorists used a dual vehicle ramming and stabbing attack. Eight civilians died and four police officers were injured in the assault. All three terrorists were also killed.
The incident also comes as the national terrorist level was lowered from “severe” to “substantial” this month, according to the Guardian.
In 2017, following a New York City explosion that injured 29, London Mayor Sadiq Khan announced that terror attacks were “part and parcel of life in a big city.”
“It is a reality I’m afraid that London, New York, other major cities around the world have got to be prepared for these sorts of things,” he added.
Khan also released a statement on Friday regarding the London Bridge incident.
My statement on the incident at London Bridge.
Around the same time as Friday’s incident was occurring, intelligence sources told Fox News that ISIS propagandists distributed a set of images that purportedly documented ISIS supporters in Azerbaijan pledging allegiance to the group’s new “caliph” in hiding. It is likely the images are stills from a video produced by that group of ISIS supporters.
The photos appeared to be attributed to an ISIS media office in Azerbaijan, suggesting the group is conveying to members and supporters it has established a new “province” in the country.
It wasn’t immediately clear if the London Bridge attack on Friday was carried out by someone in the name of the shrinking terror outfit.
Fox News’ Gillian Turner and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Nikki Haley Says She Will Not Run for President in 2024 If Trump Does
- Trump: ‘Politically Correct Supreme Court’ Will Get What It Deserves If Court Is Expanded
- Trump Predicts GOP Will Retake Congress in 2022, White House in 2024
- Evangelist Franklin Graham Says Trump’s Wealth Declined While in Office Because He Put ‘America First’
- Arizona Governor Signs Bill Banning Private Donations for Election Processes
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on