By Brie Stimson | Fox News
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro Tuesday called 16-year-old climate activist Greta Thunberg a “brat” after she tweeted about indigenous people who had been murdered while trying to protect the Amazon from deforestation.
“Greta said that the Indians died because they were defending the Amazon,” Bolsonaro told reporters. “It’s impressive that the press is giving space to a brat like that.”
Indigenous people are literally being murdered for trying to protect the forrest from illegal deforestation. Over and over again. It is shameful that the world remains silent about this. https://twitter.com/ajplus/status/1203695855880019969 …AJ+✔@ajplusThis Indigenous forest guardian was wounded by shots from a passing car. Two other Guajajara tribe members have been killed and one other was wounded in Maranhão, Brazil.
“This crime cannot go unpunished,” Guajajara leader Sonia Guajajara said in a statement.104K12:45 PM – Dec 8, 2019
On Sunday, Thunberg tweeted, “Indigenous people are being literally murdered for trying to protect the forrest (sic) from illegal deforestation. Over and over again. It is shameful that the world remains silent about this.”
After Bolsonaro’s comment, Thunberg briefly changed her Twitter profile to read “pirralha,” the Portuguese word for brat.
The 16-year-old became a sensation last summer when she arrived in the United States after sailing across the Atlantic on a racing boat from Plymouth, England, to avoid air travel’s carbon footprint.
Since then, she has traveled around the country advocating for climate change awareness and action.
She left the country last month and is attending the U.N. international climate change conference where Brazil’s environmental policies have come under scrutiny.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- US Semiconductor Chip Shortage Poses Economic, National Security Risks: Commerce Dept.
- Doctor’s Organization Has Treated Over 150,000 COVID-19 Patients With 99.99 Percent Survival
- Justice Stephen Breyer to Retire From Supreme Court
- ‘Allow People to Exercise Their Natural Immunity’: Former HHS Adviser
- Biden Administration Is Withdrawing OSHA COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate
- Vermont Woman Fired, Denied Unemployment for Refusing Vaccine, Becomes Homeless and Flees to Florida on
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on