By WND Staff
That spree of “unmasking” by Democrats at the end of the Obama administration will get a special review.
A document declassified this month showed dozens of Obama administration officials, including former Vice President Joe Biden, received information in response to requests that revealed the identity Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn in surveillance intercepts.
On Wednesday, Justice Department spokeswoman Kerri Kupec announced via Sean Hannity’s Fox News show that Attorney General William Barr has appointed U.S. Attorney John Bash of Texas to review whether or not the unmasking was justified, the Washington Examiner reports.
Focused on a time frame just before and after President Trump was elected, it will assist U.S. Attorney John Durham’s ongoing criminal investigation of the Trump-Russia probe.
“So John Durham, as part of his investigation, had been looking at the issue of unmasking, and the attorney general determined that certain aspects of unmasking needed to be reviewed separately as a support to John Durham’s investigation,” she explained. “So he tapped John Bash, one of our U.S. attorneys out of Texas, to do just that.”
Kupec noted that while unmasking is allowed under the law, “certainly the frequency, the motivation, and the reasoning behind unmasking can be problematic.”
Durham has been examining the actions of intelligence and national security officials in their investigation of now-debunked allegations of Trump-Russia collusion.
The unmasking of Flynn’s identity was in intercepts of the onetime Trump national security adviser’s conversations with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.
Hannity told Kupec his own sources revealed that “even members of Donald Trump’s family have been unmasked.”
“Well that’s why the attorney general determined that it was appropriate to look at unmasking as a support to John Durham’s investigation, and looking specifically at episodes both before and after the election,” Kupec said. “And like I said, you know, the frequency, who was unmasking whom, all of these circumstances and events can shed light and give us a better understanding of what happened with respect to President Trump, his campaign, and then of course what happened after he was elected as well.”
The Daily Caller News Foundation reported Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham requested records of Obama administration officials who made unmasking requests for information on President Trump, as well as members of his family and campaign.
Graham’s request is a follow-up to the May 13 release of the list of 39 Obama-era officials who submitted requests related to the unmasking of Flynn.
Along with Biden, former FBI Director James Comey and former CIA Director John Brennan made Flynn-related requests.
- Facebook Faces Senate Probe After Report Reveals Instagram’s Harmful Effects on Teenage Girls
- Ocasio-Cortez Faces Ethics Complaint for Accepting Ticket to Met Gala
- France Says It Has Killed ISIS-GS Leader, a Former Al-Qaeda Leader, in Africa
- Critical Race Theory Has No Place in Military: Rep. Ken Buck
- Citing First Amendment, Private Investigator Asks Supreme Court to Review License Denial
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on