By Lynn Allison
As COVID-19 continues to ravage the country, there are three counties that remain unscathed by the virus. Esmeralda County in Nevada, Loving County in Texas, and Skagway in Alaska that technically calls itself a borough, have reported no cases of the disease. So far, statistics show there have been over 8 million cases of COVID-19 in the U.S., and roughly 220,000 deaths.
According to USA Today, each of the counties has fewer than 1,100 residents and they are all remotely located. Dr. Steven Woolf, a professor at the Department of Family Medicine and Population Health and director of the Center on Society and Health at Virginia Commonwealth University, said that the U.S. in general has done poorly to prevent the spread of the virus and the isolation of these counties, along with their excellent track record in avoiding illness, proves the point.https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-37/html/container.html
“The virus didn’t get to all these counties by hopping on a bus,” he said, according to USA Today. “This is being transmitted by humans. The policies we’ve relaxed have allowed people to transmit the virus.”
While Skagway, a popular cruise ship destination, is virus-free, it suffered great economic loss due to trip cancellations. Still, the borough instituted strict COVID-19 precautions such as offering free testing and encouraging the use of face masks, social distancing, and quarantines for visitors. While children do attend school in classrooms, they also have regular screenings, eat lunch at their desks, and have fewer school sports.
Esmeralda County is at least 100 miles away from the nearest hospital, so residents are careful to steer clear of the virus, according to USA Today. “Our people have worked really hard, on their own basically, to stay COVID-19-free,” said Sheriff Ken Elgan. “We all take it seriously. That’s why we don’t have any cases of it. We don’t think it’s a hoax.”
- Nikki Haley Says She Will Not Run for President in 2024 If Trump Does
- Trump: ‘Politically Correct Supreme Court’ Will Get What It Deserves If Court Is Expanded
- Trump Predicts GOP Will Retake Congress in 2022, White House in 2024
- Evangelist Franklin Graham Says Trump’s Wealth Declined While in Office Because He Put ‘America First’
- Arizona Governor Signs Bill Banning Private Donations for Election Processes
- Trump Promises ‘Orderly Transition’ After Biden Certified as President-Elect on
- Trump Says Supreme Court ‘Incompetent and Weak’ Over Election Fraud on
- NH’s Voting Machines Are Capable of Redistributing Votes on
- Dominion’s Parent Company Arranges $400 Million Placement 1 Month Before Election: SEC Filing on
- Joe Biden listed as criminal suspect in Ukrainian court on